Supplies for making rubber gloves with oilcloth trim:
Rubber gloves (local grocery/hardware store)
1/4 yard of oilcloth (OC)- will make one pair
1/4 yard of 3/8"Łgrosgrain ribbon
Sewing machine and thread
Ruler, pencil, scissors, pins
Directions for making rubber gloves with oilcloth trim: (read carefully before beginning)
1. Cut oilcloth 4"Łx length of fabric
2. On backside mark every 3/4"Ł along the edge.
3. Most gloves have a bumpy surface close to the edge of the glove. It will look best if this edge does not show.Trim edge of glove with no more than 1/2"Ł of bumpy surface showing. If glove has no bumpy edge just trim glove so that it goes about halfway up the forearm and add 1/2"Ł. Measure width of trimmed glove and double. Set aside.
4. Make pleats: with OC right side up and starting on the right end of OC, go to the 2nd mark and fold with wrong sides together and crease with your fingers. Move creased edge over to the next mark and pin. You just made your first "ťknife pleat"Ł and it will be 3/8"Łwide. Go to the next pencil mark, fold wrong sides together and finger crease. Move creased edged to next mark and pin. Continue across the OC until you reach the measurement from #3 when measuring from first to last crease. DO NOT CUT OC!
5. Using a long stitch on your machine sew 1/8"Łalong the pinned edge for the measurement from #3 and remove pins.
6. Starting in the center on the thumb side of your glove place OC with right side on glove and down 1/2"Ł from edge of glove. Start pinning at the first crease/pleat (you will have about 1-1/2"Ł extending beyond first pleat). Continue pinning close to the edge of pleats and 1/2"Ł from edge of glove until you are about 1-1/2 from first pleat. At this point you have to just play a little (every glove size and brand is different). You want to join your two ends together and stitch a 1/8"Ł seam in the OC before pinning you last little bit of OC to the glove. After stitching your seam you can trim off the excess OC and finish pinning.
7. Now carefully remove one pin at a time and fold down the 1/2"Ł glove edge to cover over your OC edge and replace the pin. When you have gone all the way around the glove you are ready to stitch on your machine.
8. Stitch 1/4"Ł seam, remove pins as you go. (Go slowly being careful not to catch the other side). Fold OC over seam, straighten and re-finger-crease each pleat.
9.Tie a small bow and attach with Fabri-Tac or sew.
WARNING: Oilcloth contains DEHP, a phthalate chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm.