Adorable Gathered Apron
- Two fabrics (~1/2 of a yard of main fabric; ~1 yard of contrast fabric)
- Thread and Pins
- Sewing machine
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Scissors or Rotary Cutter and Mat
- Tape Measurer
- Cut one piece from main fabric 12" by 45", this will be your main portion of the apron; by changing the first number, you can lengthen or shorten the apron. Cut one piece from contrast fabric 10" by 45", this piece will be your bottom trim.
- Measure your waist and divide by two to get your waist band measurment. Cut a piece 5" by the measurement from the contrast fabric. Cut two ties from contrast fabric (about 24" by 5" each).
- Sew the ties to each side of waist band piece and sew together from edge of waist band to make a point by folding the ties in half lengthwise.
- Gather main fabric on a lengthwise side by using a basting stitch. Now sew gathered piece to waist band. Fold up the waist band and press to cover gathered area and onto back making a 5/8" hem; then top stitch.
- Sew bottom contrast strip to bottom of main apron panel by facing right sides together. Fold down and press, then repeat as you did with the waist band creating a top stitch.
- If you would like a pocket, cut two pieces of 5-6" squares and sew them right sides together, leaving an opening to turn. Turn the pocket and press. Make sure to top stitch pocket on with opening under a seam.